I had frozen the turkey stock that I had made last week. Today I pulled out the four half gallon mason jars from the freezer, thawed the stock, brought it to a boil and ladled it into pint jars. The pressure canner is now sealed up, boiling lightly away and slowly building up to the required 15psig pressure. When it gets there, the weight will start to rock and I’ll get that “hissss——–hissss……” a couple of times a minute…it just made the first hiss, and then another. Twenty more minutes and I can turn the heat off.
When I installed the new microwave oven above the stove, there was no longer enough clearance for the tall canners. So, I had to come up with an alternative heating arrangement and that took the form of a Butterfly 2698 kerosene stove. I bought mine from http://www.stpaulmercantile.com
With the new stove, came the requirement to buy a new canner. The Presto canner does not have a pressure weight to keep the pressure correct. Instead it relies on precise adjustment of the stove temperature to keep the pressure correct and I have never acquired the skill to adjust this stove precisely enough. With the All American 921 canner, all that happens when the temperature is too high is the weight jiggles a bit more often…and as long as the heat level isn’t grossly high, it’s OK.
For what it’s worth, I prefer the Presto canner as it is much lighter and easier to handle.
I tried the stove outside for awhile before using it inside. I found if I use real 1-K kerosene (possibly different than K1 kerosene) the kerosene stink is pretty much non existent when the stove is at operating temperature. So, I have the door open and a fan sucking air outside when I’m lighting and extinguishing the stove. Otherwise the outside door is closed. i can get away with this when it’s 65F degrees outside. If it were colder, I’d set things up in the garage and not worry about the kerosene smell.
I chose the kerosene stove because the available propane burners had too much or too little output for what I needed.
Oh, what you don’t see is the 15 pound CO2 fire extinguisher beside me and the CO detector on the floor behind the stove. While the likelihood of a problem is low, there is no point in being stupid.